Monday, June 20, 2011

One Nation Under God

While driving this afternoon, I heard some provoking news: apparently NBC cut the phrase "one nation under God" from a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance during their coverage of the US Open yesterday. The aftermath, as anyone can imagine, was ugly:


While listening to the controversy on the news, I suddenly realized that I was genuinely shocked by my own response to what I was hearing: almost complete indifference. A few years ago, I would have been inflamed by this sort of news. I would have joined in the ranks of people crying out publicly in anger, "How dare you, NBC?!". But now? I just don't really care. I don't see a point in debating, fighting, or rioting about it. In the grand scheme of our lives on earth, is this controversy really the most important thing?

In the Bible, the apostle Paul writes to Timothy: "Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful." (2 Timothy 2:23-24)

So what does this mean for politics? And what about controversial issues such as this one? Maybe sometimes it's not really worth arguing over. Maybe sometimes we're better off using our time to just love.

This is my two cents on some recent news. For anyone who is interested in this issue, please chime in! I'd love to hear some more thoughts on this subject.

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo! I am commenting on your blog post ^__^

    On a serious note, I struggle with this. I get so heated with political arguments! I have been better lately, though, because I do realize that we should be focused on the Kingdom of God, and not temporary nations of man.

    As far as the actual controversy itself, I don't really see the issue. We are NOT a nation under God. Have you seen how this country acts??? Even in the church it is bad!! God is no respecter of any man, and I would assume that means no respecter of man man nations that pass away with time. Our country is no different than any other country, except we believe ourselves to be special! So yeah, like I said, I don't really see a controversy in the first place.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete