Sunday, December 4, 2011

Praying Like Jesus











Something stuck out to me last night during my small group at church. I've been meditating on it and felt like writing about it. We've been reading and discussing the book of Luke for the past few weeks and last night we tackled chapter 22.

It’s all pretty tough. Jesus’ friend betrays him and he spends what he knows will be his last supper with his closest friends. He’s about to be arrested, he’s about to be tortured and killed, and he knows all about it. So Jesus goes to the Mount of Olives to pray.
He withdrew about a stone's throw beyond them, knelt down and prayed, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done." (Luke 22:41-42)
I love this prayer! It’s short, to the point, honest, genuine, and full of so much emotion. Christ’s prayers are, I think, the best examples of how we as Christians should strive to pray. Jesus is honest with God that he would rather not go through what he knows he must do. He even asks for his “cup” to be taken from him. So many times we’re not honest with God about what we really want. I know I sometimes feel like it’s wrong or even sinful to not feel like doing what God asks of me. But how can it be wrong or sinful if Christ himself does it? It is, after all, very real and very human. Whenever we’re struggling, I think it’s best to just be real with God: to tell Him what we really want, to tell Him all of our fears, struggles, and worries. Being a naturally reserved person, I’ve learned recently that when I open up to my friends, I feel closer to them and our bond strengthens. We’ll never feel close to our friends if we’re never truly open and honest with them. What makes us think this doesn’t apply to God as well?

After “being real” with God, Jesus takes it one step further. He prays honestly about what he wants, but he also willingly submits to God’s will over his own; yet another model for us to follow. Jesus, who is both God in the flesh and a King, submits himself fully to God. And then right after he does this, something absolutely awesome occurs:
An angel from heaven appeared to him and strengthened him. And being in anguish, he prayed more earnestly, and his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. (Luke 22:43-44)
Jesus is open and honest with his Father, prays for what he wants, but ultimately submits himself to God’s will…and then God strengthens him! This occurrence makes me think of another verse that I’ve been meditating on lately, written by Paul to the Philippians:
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)

So what can we learn from Jesus’ prayer in the Mount of Olives? I think we can learn that if we’re consistently open and honest with God in our prayer life, if we confess our struggles and present our requests to Him, and if we ultimately choose to submit to His will for our lives, then we can trust that our loving Father will give us peace and strengthen us to do His will!

1 comment:

  1. I always get a good laugh about how silly I must seem to God trying to hide my emotions and feelings from Him. Like, DUH! He knows what I am feeling and thinking. I should just be open with Him and get right to the point and trust that He will listen and respond in some way.


    Thanks for sharing, Rosie! :)

    ReplyDelete